Sunday, December 03, 2006

Kopitiam Service

I had to send Big G to CGH recently and for lunch I had the delicious Nasi Lemak there. (Name of stall not mentioned in case if 'kena' sue)

As I approached the cashier, I noticed she was not smiling. I stood at the counter and looked at her waiting for her to prompt me.

Cashier: *Finally looks up - still not smiling* You want what?
Me: 1 Nasi Lemak
Cashier: Ok, $3.00
Me: So cheap ah? got chicken or not?
Cashier: With chicken extra $1.
Me: Ok.
Cashier: *gesture for the money*
Me: Can order some more?
Cashier: *head move up gesture*
Me: I also want Bandung
Cashier: Ok, Total $5 dollars.
Me: I haven finish. *GRINS WIDELY*
Cashier: Faster LAH!

At that point I faster faster order everything.

!!!

My gf who noticed the scene nudged me at being a 'troublesome' customer.
I tried to explain that I wanted to make the lady smile and 'Up-her-service'.

She argued,"Hello, this is kopitiam ok."

With that I was stumped.

So what if it's kopitiam? Is that suppose to mean something?

Maybe some sort of code of conduct that I'm not aware of?



Kopitiam Act 2006 (copyright of Singapore Society)

Under this act, Singaporeans are allowed to forget their manners and behave in an unruely fashion such as the following.

1. Do NOT smile as customers approach.
2. Always act like you are pressed for time.
3. Try to conclude transaction as fast as possible and do not cross sell.
4. Whenever possible, replies should be curt.

This code of conduct applies only to kopitiam or other kopitiam-like establishments.



1 Comments:

Blogger Resutsushon said...

kak rosie.... dun bother ah..... some ppl when doing such job, they just dunno the basic etiqutte of customer service..... just becos they're at kopitiam.

for me, i wont bothered smiling if the customer is so rude for no reason.

3:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home