Monday, November 27, 2006

Spare some change?

  I noticed this guy at the bus-stop randomly approaching bystanders.
  He seemed to be asking for spare change.
  Finally he chanced upon a kind hearted makcik who gave in.

  He wore khaki berms with a polo shirt and looked like any ordinary
  Singaporean.
  There was no apparent dissability and he spoke english well enough.

I don't know why but I was disturbed by the sight of this.
And so I stared at him like as if to challenge him.
Eventually, he came towards me.

          Man: Escuse me, Can spare one dollar?
          Me: For what?
          Man: For breakfast - maybe buy kopi or...
          Me: Where do u stay uncle?
          Man: There (pointing beyond me)
          Me: Show me your IC
          Man: huh?
          Me: Let me see your IC
          Man: eh, no need arh... sorry ah Miss... never mind, never mind... (walks off)

Luckily he walked off. Actually I don't know what I'll do if he did provide me with the IC! Oh - Did I mention the gold plated watch on his right wrist.

In another incident,,,

It was in a bus journey home, when I sat behind this muscular good looking guy.
He turned to face me.

          Man: Excuse me.
          Me: Yes?
          Man: Got $2 dollars? Can give me?
          Me: *incredulous* No
          Man: *looked irritated but moved on to others*

Again, in this scenario, this man had no apparent disability.

I wanted to say something but I didn't know what to say. I watched as he went from one passenger to another. The bus driver noticed the chaos but also didn't do anything!

I reckon most would just brush-off such incidences.

And on hindsight, if that muscular had taken offense and raised his fists...
aiyoh!

and Singaporeans reknown for their super eye-power atitude...
double-aiyoh

But after a few minutes of the spectacle, he finally 'kena' from one Uncle.

          (The following exchange was in Mandarin)
          Man: Excuse me, can spare me $2 dollars?
          Uncle: Huh? Spare you $2 dollars? Now, everything all so difficult.
                    If everyone go around asking for money then no money will be earned!
                    Hey young man, don't be an embarassment to society.
                    You are so young - you can still earn, ok.

The muscular dude sat in grim silence as the whole bus looks at him.

(Sidenote: At that point I felt pity for the dude because the passengers didn't say anything earlier but just when the man 'kena' - everybody send daggers his way. Duh!)

Then Uncle reached his destination and gave his final piece.

          Uncle: Nien qing ren - hao hao zhuo ren hor!
               (Young man - good good be person hor)

As the Uncle alighted, so did the muscular dude. On impulse I also alighted.

If the muscular dude did something funny - then at least got 1 witness with the full-length story BUT NOTHING HAPPENED so, phew...

Tell me - What would you do if caught in this situation.
hmm?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home